Video content has exploded in popularity in recent years. With the rise of social media and mobile devices, it’s never been more important to know which video format is right for your content. In 2023, there are two main video formats to choose from 16:9 and 9:16.
The rise of mobile video
In the digital age, mobile devices have become the primary way we consume video content. In fact, according to a recent study, over 70% of all online video content is watched on mobile devices. It has led to a shift in the way we create and consume video, and as a result, a new video format has emerged.
16:9 – The traditional video format
16:9 has been the go-to video format for decades. It’s the standard aspect ratio for television and is widely used for online video content, including YouTube and Vimeo. 16:9 is a landscape format and offers a wider screen that is perfect for displaying a wider shot.
9:16 – The new kid on the block
9:16 is the new video format that has emerged as a result of the rise of mobile video. It’s a portrait format designed to be watched vertically on mobile devices. This format offers a tall, narrow screen that is perfect for displaying close-up shots and is great for vlogs, short-form video content, and Instagram Stories.
Which one is better?
The answer to this question isn’t as simple as you might think. Both formats have their own pros and cons, and the right format for your content will depend on what you’re trying to achieve.
The Pros and Cons of each format
- The widescreen format is perfect for displaying a wider shot
- Ideal for video content that needs to be watched on a big screen, such as a television
- More traditional and widely used, making it easier to find resources and tutorials
- Not optimized for mobile viewing
- It can be difficult to watch on a small screen, such as a mobile phone
- Optimized for mobile viewing
- Ideal for vlogs, short-form video content, and Instagram Stories
- Offers a tall, narrow screen that is perfect for displaying close-up shots
- Limited in terms of how it can be used, as it’s not suitable for display on a big screen
- Less traditional, and it may be more challenging to find resources and tutorials
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use both formats in my content?
Absolutely! You can use both formats in your content, but you’ll need to create separate video versions for each format.
The Bottom Line:
In conclusion, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer to choosing the right video format. Both 16:9 and 9:16 have pros and cons, and the right format for your content will depend on your goal. If you’re creating video content for a big screen, such as a television, then 16:9 is the way to go. However, if you’re creating video content for mobile devices, then 9:16 is the way to go.